Includes book reviews and bits from writer's journal. For the professional stuff, see website link below left.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Writer's Journal (exercise): What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

I remember my Dad’s friends chanting that with wicked grins, then stopping. Apparently the rest of the verses would get far too dirty for children to hear. I liked my Dad’s friends. They were cheerful blokes, his work mates, his drinking mates, our neighbours. There was a culture of blokiness that seem to produce good cheer. Or maybe it was that it was a relatively affluent period, after the Great Depression and the Second World War. There was a feeling of security, comfort, warmth, optimism, all will be well. Those men seemed so certain about everything. I guess they weren’t really, but they gave that impression to us little kids. And they were good men really, kind and polite (except of course in their rude songs).

No comments:

Post a Comment